Sunday, October 3, 2010

A picture is worth 100 words?

Jenny Matlock

For this week's Saturday Centus we were provided a picture instead of a sentence as a prompt. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but still we are only allowed 100, none of which can be curse words or, as much as we want to use it, rutabaga. Check the Saturday Centus to read all the different stories that can come from one picture and a 100 thoughtfully scrutinized words. It's amazing.

Here is the picture posted as the prompt:





I know what you're thinking. Everyone is going to write about the same thing. How can you look at this picture and not write about the Spanish inquisition? I fought really hard to resist and came up with this story I've titled A Horrifying First Halloween. 

A Horrifying First Halloween
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was always talk in the orphanage of Halloween, but dreams of being a witch, ghost, or Elvis, were crushed by the Head Mistress. 


October 5th, my day finally came. I was adopted! By a nice family too, with a nine year old and a dog. 


But happily ever after failed me. One night, as we sat happily around the table, the son charged me with a knife. He scalped me. Gutted my insides. And for extra measure, the morbid boy carved a smile into my face. 


This was Halloween?! I have to warn the others at the pumpkin patch!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


~Lissa

14 comments:

  1. Oh man, it was so gross...until I realized it was the voice of the pumpkin...stupid me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea using the pumpkin as the narrator. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and clever, Lissa. That morbid little boy, indeed!
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lissa, You nailed this one! You had me going, worried, then laughing out loud.

    Great work..........cj

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Great job, Lissa! Fantastic twist at the end! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that it was the pumpkin narrating! awesome-

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, what a twist. You certainly got me on this one. I thought it was going to be all warm and fuzzy - not so much lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! You got me with this one. Very clever use of the prompt! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lissa, I hate to be critical but I was slightly aghast that you didn't use the word rutabaga even once in this little story.

    Except for that gross oversight, I enjoyed your twist. I didn't expect your ending!

    It was fun reading you this week. You always make me smile.

    Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeez-o-Pete! I didn't see that one coming. Twisted, but good!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally original. I loved it!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job on the protagonist! You surprised me.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg you tricked me into thinking it was a real person until the end of course haha

    ReplyDelete